Hedgehog Corner (Trading Name for Goodlands & accommodations) is proud to be a Jurassic Coast Business Partner, with an optional £2 on every booking going to the Jurassic Coast Trust. The money raised contributes towards conservation and education projects all along our 95 mile stretch of World Heritage Site, helping to spread learning and understanding about this globally unique coastline, and, crucially, to safeguard it so that future generations can enjoy it as much as we do today.
We are pleased to report we handed over £250 in October 2016 from our fund raising – helped by you our guests.
Guy Kerr the Community Coordinator of the Jurassic Coast Trust said
“As an independent charity we are hugely grateful to the support of Business Partners like Hedgehog Corner”
Here are some of the projects that you will be supporting by staying at Goodlands:
Charmouth & Lyme Regis Fossil Warden
The Jurassic Coast Trust funds a Fossil Warden to patrol the beaches at Charmouth and Lyme Regis. The warden advises people on the best places to look for fossils and, most importantly, how to stay safe and avoid the dangers of cliff falls.
The Trust organises training days for local school teachers, allowing them to inspire their classes about the spectacular site on their doorstep. The training is followed up with a grant to advance children’s learning through field trips and additional resources.
Great Dorset Beach Clean
The Trust provides equipment for the Great Dorset Beach Clean, which not only helps to protect our coastline from litter, but provides a fantastic and safe opportunity for local families and visitors to get hands-on and involved in looking after our World Heritage Site.
Mary Anning Fund
The Trust contributes towards the Mary Anning Fund, which pays for prime Jurassic Coast fossil finds to be displayed at local museums for all residents and visitors to enjoy.
Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park
Situated just two miles along the road this is a wonderful animal sanctuary to visit – with meerkats. We sponsor RJ The Racoon, so please let us know how he is getting along.
Green Policy & Statement
- Protecting the environment is important to us and we hope that you will play your part too whilst staying at Goodlands.
- In 2013 our Hedgehog Corner won the Green Tourism in Business UK Goldstar for Guest Accommodation.
- Solar Photovoltaic panels have been installed at Goodlands by local exemplary firm EverGreen in Lyme Regis
- We are committed to meeting legislative requirements.
- We love this part of Devon on the border with Dorset here on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast and trying to look after it for future generations. We hope you enjoy your visit to this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as much as we enjoy living here.
- We are trying to do our bit and keep it the area beautiful for everybody. Much of what makes this place special is the history and unspoiled beauty of its natural landscape.
- Joy has undertaken a training course in Green Awareness with Global Action Plan’s Senior Sustainable Business Consultant Alistair Mumford and has attended courses with Sustainability South West.
- We are committed to reducing pollution where possible with particular attention to removing ragwort immediately if spotted in our fields and on verges.
- We are committed to meeting legislative requirements.
- Joy regularly takes a bin liner and picks up roadside rubbish thrown from cars between our front entrance and our home nearby.
- Water butt rainwater collection.
- Use of electric car charging point Type 1 at Goodlands and a Type 2 at nearby Hedgehog Corner just around the corner.
- We now have a “power flow” to divert excess solar energy into helping heat the hot water.
- Our six acres of meadows are permanent pasture – ideal for wildlife, wild flowers and hedgerows of autumn fruits if you wish to try foraging yourself!
- We support and are active members of DEBI (Devon Environmental Business Initiative).
We have moved over to ethical and eco friendly products wherever possible. Light bulbs are replaced. More purchases, particularly from the “Ecover” & “Bio” range for the running and care of our properties (i.e. loo roll, kitchen rolls, paper and cleaning products) are being bought from the ethical stores. We also support www.climatecare.org who have a small donation every time we shop with the Ethical Superstore. There is a shop in Lyme Regis “ECO Logical” which our visitors may like to visit.
We provide Eco-friendly starter washing up liquid, washing up powder and dishwasher tablets – all from the Ecover Range or Bio Range.
We used local firm Farrow & Ball (based in Poole Dorset) for the wall paint throughout and local Axminster Carpets from Axminster. Real Oak flooring throughout public areas. Toiletries in the bathrooms are from Out of Eden www.outofeden.co.uk a recognised ethical supplier who do not test products on animals and use Aloe Vera enriched soaps and liquids.
Biscuits on arrival are from the local Moores Biscuit & Shop which you can visit and stock up with goodies to take home just 5 minutes drive along the A35 at Morecomblake. “Clipper Teas” of Beaminster just 20 minutes away supply the organic and Fair trade teas and coffee.
The Lyme Bay Wine shop with a wide range of ciders and wine is nearby at Shute some 4 miles from Goodlands.
May we point you to Millers Farm Shop just along the A35 (2 miles), the River Cottage Shop in Axminster (2.5 miles). In Lyme Regis there is the Town Mill Cheese Monger, Town Mill Baker, Town Mill for ground flour and fabulous fresh fish at The Watch House on Lyme Regis Cobb. Eco Logical for all things green is in Broad Street. Again just a few miles down the road.
The complimentary toiletries in your bathrooms are purchased from Out of Eden a verified “green” company. We have recycled paper loo & kitchen rolls to start your holiday along with eco friendly laundry, washing up and dishwasher liquid and tablets to get your holiday under way the Eco Way!.
Joy is a font of information on all things local so please just ask.
- We have a Type 1 pod point at Goodlands for your electric car and a Type 2 at nearby Hedgehog Corner.
- The Central Heating radiators have thermostatic valves so you can adjust your heat accordingly.
- The property is double glazed with insulation in the roof and pipes are well lagged to stop energy escaping. Many of our appliances, including the boiler, are relatively new and thus energy efficient.
- Solar panels are on the roof with a power flow system diverting excess solar power to help heat the hot water.
- A power flow has been installed to divert spare solar electricity to the hot water tank
- The toilets have twin flushes – the smaller button for the short flush – or are modern 6 litre flushes.
- LED energy efficient down-lighters are replacing as we progress. Low energy bulbs used throughout property.
- We have noticed a dramatic improvement on our electricity consumption with the assistance of the PV solar panels on the field side roof of Goodlands.
- There is a rotating washing line as well as the tumble drier in the laundry room. If you use the drier in daylight the PV system will power it!
For the wildlife we have a wonderful natural habitat with pure meadow grass. In the fields are foxes, badgers, deer and rabbits which can all be spotted. There several bird feeders and fat balls for you top them up.
We sponsor the racoons at the Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park just along the A35 – details in the information book at Goodlands.
We are very pleased that local artist Hilary Buckley and photographer Nigel Cook have chosen to display their work at Goodlands. We also have Hilary’s mugs with her artwork on them in use at Goodlands. Please ask Joy if you wish to purchase any on display.
Walkers & Cyclists
We have OS maps and guides at Goodlands for you to use. Please note there have been cliff falls and mudslides on parts of the Jurassic Coast and you should heed any warning signs.
We have an approved private contractor Viridor. Certain criteria have to be met by both parties regarding our waste disposal. There is a recycling box at Goodlands for your paper, plastic, tins and glass.
We have an on line booking system which reduces the need for most paper and postal services.
We hope you have enjoyed reading our contribution on an increasingly important subject.
Devon Environmental Business Initiative Member
Energy Compliance Certificate (Legal Requirement for Holiday Lets)
Reference number 8288-6820-5319-4144-3006, total floor area 104 sq. meters.